Sunday, August 10, 2014

And So The Journey Begins...


My first week interning at Vera Wang was a huge learning experience.  I spent every moment nervous and excited.  
Total work hours during past week of internship:  49 hours
Monday - 9:30AM-7:30PM   Tuesday - 9:30AM-8:30PM   Wednesday - 9:30AM-7:30PM Thursday - 9:30AM-7:30PM  Friday  - 9:30AM-5:30PM 

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES – 
Tour of the Facility
Sewing samples in the production room
Tagging new fabrics and putting them into the fabric room in their specific organized places
Also re-rolling up fabrics and putting them back in the fabric room.
Communicating with the people in charge of deliveries and shipments about orders arriving
Helping find certain types of books in the library. 
Cleaning the Design Process room where Vera Wang does her design decision making:
o   Organize things pinned onto the Boards:
§   photos of different looks
§   illustrations
§   inspiration images
§   different types of fabric manipulated and embellishment samples
o   Organize the fit model’s dressing room
o   Organize the fabrics of the season that are hanging on the rack using pant hangers and the looks hanging on the hangers. 
·         Errands:

  • going to companies in Midtown to collect fabric swatches and fabric rolls
  • Also going to Midtown to drop off returns
  • Going to Brooklyn Charms to collect and choose charms for a necklace accessory you can visit their website by clicking  here
  • going to buy water color paper
  • delivering garments to leasing department

SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Hand sew flower designed 
·         Cutting out flower motifs from lace
·         Making Belts:
o   Slip-stitching 
o   pinning and hand sewing
·         Using the irons to press strips of organza in half
·         Creating fabric manipulated samples


SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
·         The week was tough because of the long hours; however, the days went by quickly because it was so busy and I will start getting used to it. I also am required to wear all black professional clothing, so I will need to do some shopping...which I am very excited about. The members of the design team that I work for  are extremely helpful, kind and funny!  I was a little scared coming into such a large company...worrying that it was going to be a "Devil Wears Prada" situation.  I was blown away by how the team would just joke around and how extremely talented they all are.  
         I learned so much about the inner organization of the company and the design process that Vera Wang uses is extremely well organized and exciting to see.  Her process is like a well-oiled machine. 
·         I am learning so much every day.  I realized that I am used to doing my projects on my own time so I am a little slower at sewing and doing things.  I know that I will become faster as time progresses and I feel more comfortable and less timid about doing things.  I need to work on my speed and on not holding back because of fear of messing up.  It is all a learing process.  



This weekend my roommates and I went to Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York and I was such a fun little get away.  The park had paths to walk through and ponds for people to boat on and a water fall.  We are definitaly going back!  


Love Always,
Sydni Norie






No comments:

Post a Comment