Sunday, August 17, 2014

Shedding Fears and Growing in Confidence

"To Live A Creative Life, We Must Lose Our Fear, Of Being Wrong."  - Unknown


Week # __2___                Date of report:  ______8/17/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  47.5 hours
Monday __9:00AM-6:30PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-6:30PM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-7:00PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-6:30PM__ Friday  __9:00AM-6:00PM__

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES: 
·         Cleaning the Design Process room where Vera Wang does all her decision making
o   Organize things pinned onto the 8 Boards
o   Organize the fit model’s dressing room
o   Organize the fabrics of the season that are hanging on the in its specific order
o   Re-hanging up and organizing the garments hanging on the hangers in the design process room. 
o   Unwrapping new rolling racks and transferring clothes onto the new racks.
o   Organizing boxes of feathers and putting them in the storage closet.

·         Errands:
o   Going to companies in Midtown to collect fabric swatches and fabric rolls.  One of the places I go to frequently is called Preview.  
o   Going to midtown to pick up supplies (envelopes, elbow pads, etc.)
o   Also going to Midtown to drop off returns and garment samples
o   Delivering garments to bridal sales department
·         Sewing fabric swatch samples in the production room
·         Tagging new fabrics and putting them into the fabric room in their specific organized places
·         Also re-rolling up fabrics and putting them back in the fabric room.

SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Cutting out various shapes that were used to create flowers
·         Finished Making Belts:
o   hand sewed on the hook and eyes as well as a snap
·         Creating fabric samples

SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
I am slowly becoming more comfortable at Vera Wang and growing more confident in my skills that I have learned and developed over the past four years in college.  I am slowly trusting in myself in order to take on more sewing/production projects.  After creating a fabric sample, Margo (a member of the design team) told me that it looked good and I could go ahead with using the fabric used in the new collection to create the sample that Vera would use as an example in her design process room. 

I was so excited to have created a project that Vera Wang could see and possibly use as a technique in her new collection. 

The other intern at Vera Wang, Lisbeth, had her last week this week.  She had been interning since the beginning of June and it was very sad to see her go.  She helped me so much by teaching me how everything works and is organized.  She was a huge blessing to me.  She was so sweet and welcoming and I will definitely miss her.  I hope that I can now take what she has taught me and use that new knowledge to teach the new interns.  This week our new intern started on Wednesday.  Her name is Sarah and I hope that I can be as much help to her, as Lisbeth was to me. 


I am struggling with the long days and staying motivated throughout the week to put in 110%.  


I am learning what I need to do in order to keep my spirits up throughout the week.  I know that getting to work early and walking through the park in the morning helps me to start my day off in a good mood and also having a piece of dark chocolate is a nice little reward/treat to come home to.  Escaping the city and going to Prospect Park last weekend and going to Rockaway Beach this weekend were both really relaxing and helped me to get rejuvenated.  They also didn’t cost very much money because I have the unlimited metro card for this month and my roommates and I just took the subway.

WEEKEND GET-AWAY


This weekend my two roommates (Taylor and Verretta) and I took the A train to Rockaway Beach.  It was so fun to layout, soak up the sun and hunt for some cute shells.  We even got to see three dolfins swimming by!  It was such a cool experience.  




Over all this week was an amazing learning experience and I am becoming much more familiar with my duties at work as well as becoming more familiar with my new, "New York lifestyle".  


Love Always, 
Sydni Norie




No comments:

Post a Comment