Monday, September 1, 2014

Let The Count Down Begin!!!


"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  ~ Matthew 11:28-30




Company: Vera Wang
Week # __4___                Date of report:  ______8/31/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  67.50 hours
Monday __9:00AM-8:00PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-7:15PM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-7:15PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-7:30PM__ Friday  __9:00AM-7:00PM__Saturday__9:30AM-5:00PM__Sunday__9:00AM-5:00PM
SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES:
·         Cleaning the Design Process room where Vera Wang does all her decision making
o   Organize things pinned onto the 8 Boards
·         One Errand:
o   going to companies in Midtown to collect fabric rolls and garments
·         Sarah (the other intern) and I completed scanning lace which had the outline of the pattern basted with red thread.  The entire pattern piece had to be scanned, printed and then tapped together.  It was like a giant puzzle.  We had to make sure the lace motifs matched up with one another.  This was done so that the designers could then draw on the printed lace pattern piece where the embroidery needed to be placed.  This pattern was then sent out to the manufacturer that would be embroidering the gown. 
·         I was talking to Natalie (my supervisor) and she said that the design team and production team for the designers make up to 300 pieces for the collection and a minimum of 40 are put into the show. 



SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Creating fabric samples to put on Vera Wang’s inspiration board that she can mess with during fittings and help her in her design process.  
o   I learned that paper is an amazing tool to use when trying to be accurate and cut smooth lines. 
·         Copying patterns and also altering patterns to extent the length.  Shirts where extended into a dress and then some into a gown.  The patterns are very large and needed to be extremely accurate as well as done quickly so that the cutter had something to cut and then the sewers had things to sew.  It is like a well-oiled machine and if one part stops working then the machine would no longer be able to operate. 
o   I also learned another technique for accuracy when copying patterns this week.  After the copy is completed use and awl or pin and pin the new copy on to the original and pivot the pattern making sure all of the notches and lines are lining up. 
SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
Earlier in the week I faced a problem.  I was working on copying a pattern for Natalie and in the middle of it Margo asked me to finish the ruching project.  I stopped and did what Margo asked.  Later, Natalie was confused why I had stopped doing the patterns and had just left them on the table.   She asked why I stopped doing what she asked and she was really upset because they were left unattended and they needed to be completed urgently.  I apologized and explained the situation.  Natalie understood the confusion and told me it wasn’t my fault and that Margo should have told her.  The next day I re-apologized and told her from now on when something like this happens I will let whoever’s project I am working on, that I am stopping to do something else.  She was extremely grateful for the apology and my concern. 
I feel like I am learning so much and I am beginning to learn new things and go on less errands and doing less organizing/cleaning.  I am especially learning a lot about different fabrics and the way they feel and their names and uses.  I am learning about the way certain designers like their projects done and how to be accurate and faster in my pattern copying. 
I have worked a ton of hours and I know it is only the beginning to a long-haul of many late nights in this upcoming week/weekend.  The show is on September 9th so we only have this upcoming week/weekend to pull it all together.  I am tired, but I am also super excited to see the amazing creative mind of Vera Wang spit out her dreams and visions and then be a part of the team that brings them to life!
There where a couple things that helped me get through the week!  :D

WEEKEND:

Worked all weekend, including Labor Day; however, after work I watched movies with my wonderful roomie!

 "God grant me the serenity to accept thr thingd I cannot change; courage to change the things i can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace..." ~ Prayer from my devotional this week.  I feel like it was pretty perfect!

Love Always,
Sydni Norie

No comments:

Post a Comment