Sunday, September 28, 2014

A New State Of Mind



"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are." 
- unknown





Company: Vera Wang
Week # __8___                Date of report:  ______9/28/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  66 hours
Monday __9:00AM-8:00PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-10:00PM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-7:00PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-8:00PM__ Friday __9:00AM-7:30PM __Saturday__9:00AM-7:30PM

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES: 
·         Organize Design/Fit Meeting Room
o   Re-hanging fabric techniques and rolling up ribbon
o   Re-pinning things to the board
·         Cutting floral and leaf motifs from lace as well as crystals and beading from tulle backing which was later pinned and hand sewn onto gowns. 
·         Continued making more “fish”
·         Hand sewed two bra/bodices that were draped on a form by Daniel. 
·         I helped Hillary make trims
·         Cutting out 40 yards of two types of tulle that were sent to Vogue Too to have a gathering technique done to it. 
·         Created 1 inch side pleats to a half yard of veil tulle the width of the fabric and then sewn along one side. 
SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Bridal project: creating panels for the skirt of a gown

·         More panels for skirts of gowns
·         Draping:
o   I cut tulle and used it to messily drape pleats. 
o   Daniel created the finalized drape and approved the pleat.  Then I machine sewed it in tack and re-created three more and sewed those together. 
·         Bridal Flowers
o   I helped create various versions of bridal flowers
o   I learned a new pleating technique.

SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
I am so excited about learning all of the new bridal techniques and I have really enjoyed seeing the collection come together.  I can’t wait to see the end result from the photo shoot.  I asked Daniel, a member of the bridal design team, how she comes up with so many amazing floral shapes using randomly cut fabric shapes, like circles or strips.  She told me that... 

...it is a new way to thinking and opening your mind up to the possibilities of anything you see being made using fabric. 






After she told me that, I was very inspired and began looking at things around me and thinking about how I could recreate it using fabric.  

I have really enjoyed my experience at Vera Wang.  I love the city and at this age I feel like I can really thrive in such a fast passed environment.  I have also loved working with the design team and other people who work at Vera Wang.  

One of my favorite parts of my day is saying good morning and good night to all of the seamstresses and patternmakers in the production studio.  

They are all so sweet and have shown me so much kindness.  They are always so thankful for all of the interns’ hard work and they treat us like we are part of the team. 

I am now starting to look for jobs here in New York City.  I have created an account on stylecareers.com.  I have also talked to some of the design team and let them know that I would love to work there in the future if they ever have an opening.  
I was really nervous to talk to the design team about wanting to work there but I knew that I needed to at some point.  I felt like it was hard to find the right time because we are so busy now with bridal, but I know I needed to soon so that they can be aware of what I would like to do in the future and that I would be available if a possition does open up.  

I will soon be graduated and finished with my internship and there are a lot of variables to think about and figure out once I am done, but I know that I need to just trust that it will all work out and take it one day at a time.  

Faith

WEEKEND: 

This weekend I went with my roommate to a coffee shop called Georges Andre Vintage Cafe close to where we live in Brooklyn.  We love it and try to go once a week.  On sundays they have a live DJ outside and play silent fillms on a porjector.  Everything in the coffee shop is also vintage.  It is a really playful atmosphere and their couchs are super comfy.  If you want to visit their Facebook page click here! If you are ever in Bedstuy, you should check it out!




Love Always,
Sydni



No comments:

Post a Comment