Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dreaming

"Always remember to fall asleep with a dream and wake up with a purpose." - unknown




Company: Vera Wang
Week # __7___                Date of report:  ______9/21/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  59.5 hours
Monday __9:00AM-6:30PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-7:00PM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-7:00PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-7:00PM__ Friday  __9:00AM-7:00PM

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES: 
·         Organize Design/Fit Meeting Room
o   Closet organization and taking out the old ready to wear collection and putting in the new sample garments from the ready to wear spring 2015 collection. 
o   The old samples now will go to sample sales or they will be thrown out. 
·         I machine and hand sewed trimmings.  
·         Finished hand basting down floral design on a tulle canvas. 
·         Copied patterns
·         Cut floral and leaf motifs from lace. 
·         Errands:
o   Pick up from Vogue Too for tulle panels that had a gathering technique.  – Later I steamed them and hung them up in the fit meeting room.
o   Dropped off a folder and pictures from the fit meeting at Vera Wang’s Apartment
·         Questions answered by Eleanor  (bridal design team member):
o   Bridal started this season a couple days after last season ended.  Vera was very inspired by last season and had sketches and ideas to show the team at a meeting.  The team had a couple months to pull together the things she had showed the team so she could view them in fit meetings and the team also worked on a coupe other design ideas of their own to leave in the fit meeting room to see if she may see them and use them for the collection.   The last season was so amazing and they put together the video below to debut the Spring 2015 Bridal collection!  If the video is not working you can also click here!


SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Bridal project with Hillary: creating panels for the skirt of a gown  
·         Bridal project with Sarah and Hillary: Fish/Floral Shapes
·         For Production:
o   Drew out technical sketches for the trimmings on the bodices, jackets and vests in the spring RTW collection. 
o   Copied the front pattern for a skirt, scanned and printed the front of the actual skirt twice.  I then used one to tape together as the whole front of the skirt and then the other I cut out the crystals on the front of the skirt so they could be later taped onto the pattern where they will be later placed in production. 
o   Cut out scanned and printed embellishments used on one of the dresses and re-scanned and sent to Anne so she could shrink and use in the technical packages. 
SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
After making a few of the fish with Hillary, I took them to Daniel to make sure we were making them correctly.  She said that they were the best she has ever seen!  I was so excited! 
I really enjoyed working with Hillary on the bridal projects.  
She has lived in New York now for five years and is now going to school at Parsons.  She is a part time intern at Vera Wang, but she is always there on the weekends if she is needed and always has a good attitude. She is also amazing at suggesting restraunts and fun places to go around NYC.

After cutting out the floral and leaf motifs from the lace, I was later informed, that it was $800.00 per yard and
I freaked out a little bit!  Haha!  
Walking through the park in the mornings is one of my favorite ways to start the day.  It helps me to relax before the crazyness of the day begins.  
I also love calling my family on my lunch breaks sometimes to check in and stay connected with them. 
Family is super important to me because I know that they will always be there for me no matter what and they have always supported me in chasing my dreams.  

This is my dad and me walking down the street I live on when he came to visit last week! 


WEEKEND:
This weekend I went to Rockaway Beach to go on a run and lay out for a little bit.  I really love that my sister and dad brought my car and I can now go on drives to the beach and escape the crazyness for a while and relax.  I love the ocean is only a 30 minute drive away.  I had some time to walk around and I saw a lot of abandoned businesses and homes that were still being re-built after Hurricane Sandy hit.  It was sad to see that some places were still struggling or completely shut down.  I am sure it will just take a lot of time before it is fully restored.  



It was great spending time reflecting on my experience so far at Vera Wang and dream about what I want to do next! 

Love Always,
Sydni 



No comments:

Post a Comment