Sunday, October 19, 2014

Celeb Spoting

" I've never allowed fear to limit me. I believe you can will your way into good situations.  Go out and make things happen." 
- Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson III


Company: Vera Wang

Week # __11___             Date of report:  ______10/19/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  46 hours
Monday __9:00AM-6:00PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-7:00AM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-6:00PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-6:30PM__ Friday __9:00AM-5:30PM __

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES: 
·         Organize fabric headers that in closet from previous seasons and for Fanny who is the new fabric sourcing team member for the new up and coming seasons.  I learned that headers are large swatches of the fabric that are used by the agents to show design houses which fabrics they have available and then the design houses will order depending on which headers they liked. 
o   The fabric mills (located mostly in Italy) have agents in New York City and our fabric sourcing member (Fanny) chooses a selection to show the team as options for the new collections.  She has to know the direction of the collection and pieces that will be made so she has an idea for when she begins sourcing.  The team members all prepare their ideas and fabrics and show Vera Wang and she makes the final say to which fabrics will be used and which that will not be used. 
·         Sarah and I photo copied a bridal technique used in a center back godet of a gown in this fall 15 bridal collection and taped the copies together to create a flat pattern.  The pattern will be used in production to show where the technique will need to be placed.  It was difficult to get the fabric to lay flat and for the technique to show because it was light ivory tulle with a lining behind it so I decided to cut up black paper and pin it under the tulle so the technique would be more visible and the fabric would lay flat. 

SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Bridal Veil:
o   I learned how to sew a clip onto the veils. 
o   I modeled more of the veils for Eleanor so she could send the pictures to Keith and get the okay from him to send the veils to sales. 
·         I hand tacked flowers for a trimming for ready to wear as a possible technique. 

SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
This week I learned so much more about fabrics and developed my textile identification skills as well as expanded my knowledge of technical textile terms. 



I went on an errand to pick up some headers from an agent and when I got on the elevator I saw 50 Cent and it was just him and me on the elevator!  I was so shocked!  I just stared at him and he said hey and so I said hey back!  Then he got off and now I regret not taking a picture with him or talking to him more but it was super exciting and crazy! 

WEEKEND:

This weekend my friend Sarah that I met interning at Vera Wang made hot buttered rum and carved pumpkins!  It was so fun and festive!




No comments:

Post a Comment