Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The City That Never Sleeps

"Always live life excited and nervous.  It is the best way to live!" 
~Carol Engel-Enright, An amazing professor at Colorado State University




Company: Vera Wang
Week # __9___                Date of report:  ______10/05/14__________
Log work hours during past week of internship:  85.5 hours
Monday __9:00AM-7:15PM__   Tuesday   _9:00AM-9:00PM__   Wednesday __9:00AM-10:00PM__ Thursday __9:00AM-10:00PM__ Friday __9:00AM-8:00PM __Saturday__9:00AM-10:00PM__Sunday__9:00AM-10:15PM

SUMMARY OF LAST WEEK’S ACTIVITIES – INCLUDE DUTIES, TRAINING, AND EXPOSURE TO NEW AREAS OF INTERNSHIP ORGANIZATION: 
·         Organize Design/Fit Meeting Room
o   Re-hanging fabric techniques and rolling up ribbon
o   Re-pinning things to the board
·         Cutting floral and leaf motifs from lace as well as crystals and beading from tulle backing which was later pinned and2 hand sewn onto gowns. 
·         Hand tacking bows
·         Cleaning the ends of bows by cutting at 45 degree angles clean lines. 
·         Errand to Vogue Too
SPECIFIC SKILLS/TASKS DEVELOPED OR INTRODUCED THIS WEEK:
·         Bridal Top:
o   Daniel, a member of the bridal design team had me re-make a long sleeve lace top from a previous season that sales needed to borrow for a photo shoot for the Princess perfume ad.  I tried to help her look for the original top, but we could not find it anywhere. She also could not find that pattern so I took another top with the same pattern and picked it apart.  Then I used the old pieces to form the new patterns.  She needed it fast so I did not even make paper patterns.  I pinned the other tops’ pieces on top of the new lace I was making the top from and cut the new patterns.  Then I pinned and sewed.  The back had a snap closure I has to sew as well.   
·         Bridal Flower Petals:
o   First we cut various sizes of circles. Then we created 6 different versions of petals using various pressing and folding techniques. 
·         Flower Backings:
o   Hand sewing organza circles onto the back using cross stitching. 
SELF-EVALUATION OF WEEK’S PERFORMANCE OF INTERNSHIP:
The top I re-created for Daniel was very challenging because the lace that I was making the long sleeve top out of had pretty wide holes in it.  I was extremely nervous, but grateful to Daniel for trusting and believing in me enough to help her as well as challeng me to grow in my construction abilities. 

While creating one of the petal variations, Natalie originally wanted to have a seamstress sew the pinned shapes onto the canvas backing but none of the seamstresses were available.  She had me do a few of the easier lines and told me that she thought I could do the rest and that she believed in me! I was very nervous because the lines where all very curving and there were layers I needed to be carful to move before I machine sewed.  







I never knew you could make so many different types of flower petals from circles.  It is amazing the fabric manipulation that Daniel comes up with.  She is brilliant!

This week I had to work a lot of late nights and over the weekend, but I loved every minute of it!  I have done a lot of things that I have been excited about and afraid to do and I know that I am definitely growing from this experience!


I am loving seeing the season change here!  It is beautiful and the weather has been amazing!  

Love Always,
Sydni

No comments:

Post a Comment